The BFS was held at the Velmore hotel in Johannesburg countryside on the 14th and 15th August 2015. The aim was to gather a group of top beef Veterinarians and farmers to discuss the topic of:
“Alignment between Veterinarian and Farmer on all aspects of Beef Reproduction to optimize kg beef yield per hectare”
Michael Faint (SA MD) opened the meeting using the Ceva video to impress the size of Ceva Internationally.
Alex Soussa was our main international speaker and moderator for this meeting.
Ceva staff of Dr Rudi Nienaber (Beef TSM)\ Dr Willem Schultheiss (Ruminant BUM) and John Littlefield (Ruminant NSM) were present to ensure the message of Prid® Delta was conveyed.
Keep presentations included:
- Why should we need to use Synchronization and Fixed Time AI in Beef cows & heifers? – Alex Souza
- Before one ventures into Fixed Time AI: What are the Prerequisites for success? – Willem Schultheiss
- Benefit to Cost Analysis of Fixed Time AI – Alex Souza
- The minimum that we should understand about reproduction physiology – Alex Souza
- The Best and Most Practical Synchronization Programmes for Beef Cattle – Alex Souza
- The management and availability of injectable oestrogens in SA – Odile Hambly, V-Tech
- Experiences & results with Synchronisation & Fixed Time AI in SA – Gert Oosthuizen & Farmer Clients
- Using DNA testing and genomics for bull selection – Munro Marx
This was completed with a lively debate with a better understanding of the complexities that both farmers and vets have in ensuring all the elements come together correctly to ensure the greatest outcomes in a fixed time AI environment.